-->

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

In Memory of Marian Genevieve Haugen

Marian Genevieve Haugen (June 10, 1918-June 1, 2011)
Last Friday (July 29th) was a very hard day for me and my family.  It was the day we celebrated my Grandma, Marian Genevieve Haugen's, life.  Although my Grandma had passed away in June, we waited to have a funeral so her family from all over could attend.

It was a beautiful Lutheran service and I was honored to read a bible passage that she had chosen herself, Psalm 27.  My sister, Melanie, stood by my side as I read it to our friends and family.  It meant a lot to me to be able to stand in front of everyone and read the passage as I know my Grandma would be proud of me.

I was very close to my Grandma.  I will miss her very much.  I am so honored to have been given her wedding ring which she never took off.

My favorite memories of Grandma:
  • Her cheating at Uno and any game we played against each other
  • Making lefsa with her (she makes it better than anybody)
  • Driving her car and realizing it doesn't go over 35 (because she never drove it over that)
  • Using phone books to boost me up in her car when I was too small to see
  • Hearing the story of her hanging laundry outside of her house in just her bra (she told my dad it's the same thing as a bathing suit)
  • Hearing the word Uff Da
  • Signing her guestbook almost every time we went to her house (at her request)
  • Staying the night at her house and seeing what she looks like without her dentures in
  • Mowing her lawn and seeing her cooking in the kitchen window
  • Picking raspberries in her backyard and eating it on top of vanilla ice cream
  • Her touching my hair asking if it was wet every time I saw her (back when the crunchy, curly, gelled/moused looked was in)

No comments:

Post a Comment